
1900 Humber De Dion Engined Quadricycle 2.75HP
Registration No. BS8088
Engine No. 9078
Frame No. M1041C
VCC Dating Cert No. 2177
£45,000 GBP
Humber & Co Ltd was a British manufacturer with its headquarters based in Coventry, incorporated as early as 1887 where the company’s primary source of income was the ‘Bicycle boom’. The company became simply Humber Ltd in 1899.
The 1899 season saw the production of Humbers first 4 wheel motorised vehicle. The Motor Tandem Quadricycle. The vehicle had several components from other very successful marques, with Humber providing the frame and running gear from its bicycle heritage. The power unit was provided by the ever present powerhouses of the time De Dion Bouton, with a 2.75HP unit inserted into the Quadricycle. The rims for which the tyres sat were produced by Dunlop with pneumatic tyres at a size of 28 x 2.25. The vehicle was said to be capable of travelling to speeds of 25 miles per hour and said to weigh 2.5 CWT (127KG).


The example shown here is a truly remarkable example of the De Dion Engined Quadricycle. Purchased new in late 1899/ early 1900 by a Mr A.E Coleman of Carlow, South east Ireland. Mr Coleman owned a cycle business and used the Quadricycle daily for many years. It is noted that in 1905, he suffered an accident which damaged the front LHS of the vehicle which had to be repaired. Quite remarkably it was from this same ownership that the car was acquired some 80 years later by VCC President Mr J.D.A Thomas of Carmarthen, Wales. While on a trip to Ireland looking for barnfind vehicles, Mr Thomas met an individual
With family connections to the Carlow Cycle Shop.
At this time the Quadricycle was laid up around the back of the building under a tarp, but appeared to be incredibly well intact and original.
‘BS8088’ was sold on a year later at the Pembroke Dock sale in 1981, where it was purchased by a Mr J Colegrave, a dealer in Antique Bicycles (Image of collection on file). Its next keeper was Mr J. Fletcher of Worcester in 1987 and it was in this ownership the vehicle was restored keeping all of its original components. Next, in 1992 it passed to Mr D. Harrison of Leicester and it was from this ownership that the current owner acquired the vehicle in 1994. It has remained in this ownership until the present day, some 32 years.
The history file with this remarkable 1900 Quadricycle is quite something to behold, there is correspondence from early encounters and a huge amount of time and effort has gone into its research, providing us with a complete history from new to present day. Indeed it seems that BS8088 was used very regularly from around 1985 onwards, as it features in a huge number of events in both Ireland and the UK, including the 1989 Kenco RAC London to Brighton Veteran Car run, an event it is eligible for today.
Today, BS8088 is looking for a new home and the opportunity for someone to become just the 7th owner of this car in the last 126 years. Some recommissioning will be required to get the vehicle into useable condition, but this work is not vast and is something that can be helped with upon discussion.
A note from Tom:
‘Rarely do we come across vehicles with complete history at 126 years old, this example represents one of those rare occasions. With photographic evidence of its ‘as found’ condition, this is an opportunity to acquire a very original vehicle.’
























